Selected Passages Pastor Todd Harker
March 29, 2020
Philippians 4:4-7: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God,which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, Brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy – meditate on these things.”
- How Do I gain the Peace of God?
- I have to make a CONSCIOUS decision to understand my anxiety comes between the Lord and me – v.6
- Merimnao – literally means to have a DISTRACTING care
- Worry leads to anxiety when OVERTHINKING becomes the norm
- Anxious feelings take over our DECISIONS leading to full-fledged fear
- As my anxiety takes center STAGE, my God takes the BACKSEAT
- Be anxious for nothing!!!
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.
- I have to make a CONTINUED effort to carry my anxieties to the One who can replace them with peace-v.6
- Prayer is the greatest ALTERNATIVE to worry, anxiety and fear
- and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
- I have to make a COURAGEOUS effort to live in the peace that only comes from God-v.7
- Ask the question, WHAT IS REAL and WHAT IS FAKE?
- Practice focusing on ONLY the things that solidify truth
Phil 4:4-9 4 Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! 5 Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon. 6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. 8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. NLT